Tuesday, April 28, 2009

"Sitting on the Dock of the Bay"

Remember that song? It is defining my life right now but I must admit that I'm enjoying it!! But instead of sitting on the dock of the bay I'm sitting on the dock of spring which is my patio. There are so many things to watch from this vantage point and i love it! I have spent endless happy moments digging in the dirt planting flowers in a variety of containers that are the highlight of my patio dock. I have hung thistle socks for the finches and the activity and antics of the goldfinches can entertain me for hours. I've put out hummingbird feeders and am anxiously awaiting their return. There is a tree frog living in my watering can that I discovered quite by accident. I filled the can with water in the kitchen sink, watered my pretties on the patio, took the can back to the kitchen sink to refill it and turned my back, when i turned to check the water level there was this tree frog crawling out of it. I quickly placed him in a mason jar, finished watering my plants then returned him to his hiding place in my watering can. He came out last night to feed on the bugs that are drawn to the light coming from the windows. From what I saw of his hunting and gathering skills he went back to the watering can with a full belly. But with all this activity happening around and on my "dock" I have to admit the best part of it all is having my family enjoy it with me. We have already spent numerous hours on the patio with Jack, Katie, Brian, Dale and Zippy (the turtle). We have talked, played, laughed, grilled, and consumed numerous glasses of wine. This is the highlight and the times when I am happiest and the most content to be "Sitting on my Dock of Spring".

1 comment: